Search This Blog

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Healthy Geek Recipe - Soylent Salad V1.0 aka Spinach Smoothie aka Salad Slurry

Salad bothers me. It takes too long to eat, it doesn't have a whole lot of flavor, and I guess I'm a messy eater because I always end up wearing bleu cheese or ranch afterward.

The health benefits are a given - tons of easily absorbable essential nutrients and it keeps the system running smoothly. Over the years I've tried to get in the habbit of eating salads but I've just never been able to stick to it, until I figured out the Spinach Smoothie (or Soylent Salad or Salad Slurry).

The concept is simple. Take whats good about the salad and just get it over with. Change your perception of salad into more of a medicinal thing instead of an eating experience.

Here's the process, buy a blender or a Magic Bullet, go to the store and pick up some greenery, add some water, liquify it, then chug!


What's needed -




Before -



After -



I personally like the Magic Bullet because it gives that spinach a nice frothy texture. This drink is perfect for geeks because you can whip one up and chug it while your waiting for some files to download. Chug your dinner during the cutscenes in that game your playing.

Of course this recipe is easily modified. Get creative. Use what you have. No tomatoes? Ketchup is a vegtable (hot sauce is too right?) Use those packets you've been saving from the drive thru, what the heck.

Throw in a Red Bull for kick and flavor. Why not, you don't drink them for the flavor anyway.

Adding a Chalupa might be going to far, but maybe not. Try it and let me know. It might just be not too far enough.

McDonalds almost had it right when they put a side salad in a cup a while back. They just didn't follow through with the concept.

The only downside of this is all of the grossed out looks you get from people that actually like eating salad. But whatever, the ends justify the means (Constructive Machiavellianism at work).

Finally - salad for geeks on the go!

3 comments:

  1. For all of you who are reading this, and are getting grossed out, just remember, you don't have to live with this!

    It's a good thing I love living with Mikie! Love you honey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your Soylent Salad post! Pics and all. Wow. It actually doesn't look as bad as it sounded. I was expecting it to look darker green like cooked spinich sludge. Yuck. It looks like a health drink. Wheat grass or something. I just don't know if I could force it down. I think I'll stick to the messy way of eating salads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. heh heh, yeah, it snot for everyone :)

    ReplyDelete