Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

smart phone security check

It occurred to me today that I see a lot of phones that make me feel uneasy because of potential security problems.

The first thing I do with a new phone is assume I will lose it. I have a lot of sensitive data on there like contacts, emails, passwords and other data. It would be frustrating to lose the phone, but potentially devastating to lose that data.

So here's what I do to my iPhone -

- set the screen lock password. Yes, it's a little annoying, but you can set the lock time to be higher if locking after a minute bugs you too much.

- set the phone to delete all data after a specified amount of attempts. If someone has enough attempts, they will guess your password.

- set up a remote management app like find my iPhone. You might get your phone back but if you don't find it you can delete everything off of it.

and really, that's about it. pretty simple, but trust me on this, if you ever lose your phone, you'll feel better knowing someone doesn't have your data.

No comments:

Post a Comment